ok, so I know that this recipe isn’t exactly seasonal, but the tomatoes were on sale @ the store last week, and I couldn’t resist. Today we prepare for another winter storm advisory, and I need a little sunshine. A little taste of summer. That’s all I’m asking. So, instead of sitting in the corner and crying, I turned on the Beach Boys, and made lunch. Zesty Tomato Bread to be exact. It is one of my favorite summer time garden lunches. It’s a simplified rustic homestead take on bruschetta, without the chopping, extra veggies, etc. I like to keep it simple. So let’s get started.
Zesty Tomato Bread
2 slices of rustic artisanal bread , french or sourdough bread.
2 medium tomatoes
fresh or purchased mozzarella, goat cheese, swiss, or other favorite cheese
1 clove freshly pressed garlic
extra virgin olive oil
salt & pepper
- Slice bread, tomatoes, and cheese. Place bread slices onto baking sheet, top with tomatoes and cheese. Sprinkle generously with dried basil. Add a pinch of oregano. Press fresh garlic over top of bread to catch any of the juicy goodness that may squeeze through the press before the garlic. Try to distribute garlic evenly over both slices of bread, but don’t stress over it! Mine kinda goops up into clumps, but it ends up being a zingy bite; I rather enjoy the burst of flavor! You may also use garlic powder if you are making for kiddos or others whom the fresh garlic would be too strong.
- Raise oven rack to top position and set oven to broil. Place tomato bread under the broiler, and broil until cheese is melty, browned and delicious looking. Your bread will be toasty too.
- Remove from oven. With a spatula scoop zesty tomato bread onto plates, resist drooling on them, and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil & balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle with salt and pepper if desired.
- Sit down and enjoy a taste of summer. It’s like a party in your mouth!
- Zesty Tomato Bread makes an excellent lunch on its own, or with a handful of kale chips! It is also a wonderful appetizer to a larger meal paired with red wine.
- Please use discretion when licking your plate clean….make sure no one is looking!!!!! 😉
MMMmmmmmm…….Can’t wait for next summer’s homestead garden!